Sunday, August 8, 2010

He did it!

Two springs ago, we encouraged the kids to try riding bikes sans training wheels. Jackie was willing to try and stuck with it. Zac attempted it once and 'put the breaks' on that idea. He just wouldn't practice and chose to ride with the training wheels all last summer. I've learned not to push Zac. In his own time, he will eventually meet the challenge. This summer, he was showing all signs that he could do it, but try to convince him of that, was another thing. On this particular day, I told him this would be the day he would go two wheels. He still said 'nope'. So I went along side him with my hand on his back giving him absolutely no assistance trying to determine how I was to prove him otherwise while I promised not to 'let go'. So I begged for only 5 seconds of no help....finally he agreed. Then I asked for 10 seconds, and on and on like this. Jackie was right alongside us cheerleading him on. Then the switch turned. He finally had proven to himself that he could do it. And he was off! In about 5 minutes, he was starting up from a stop solo, standing on his pedals, navigating the entry to the rollerblade hockey rink, riding off curbs and smiling for the camera. He kept saying, "Mom, did you get that shot?" Yup-Zac, I got it! So did you!!! and I couldn't be prouder of you.









Now biking is all Zac wants to do. This fall we look forward to some family bike rides. Now, on to the next challenge.....getting Zac to be willing to swim with face in the water. Where's the switch?

No comments:

Post a Comment