Saturday, March 12, 2011

It's snow wonder.....

We didn't hit record breaking snow accumulation. Six months later I sit in my air conditioned room catching up on my blog while it's a 103 degree heat wave only to tie the record for highest heat on this particular day. I look back at these winter photos and still would rather put up with a few days of heat than to have to shovel, feel jack frost on my face, and feel the toes freeze. As much as I like winter, it's just too long. As much as I hate hot humid days, the summer is too short.










We lost half of our dogwood tree in one storm. So sad, it's our prettiest tree and it looks so deformed with only half standing.








The day after a snowstorm can bring bright blue skies and perfect conditions for sledding. Don't be fooled by the bright sunny skies, it was a harshly cold day with a piercing wind chill. A north wind swept up the hill as children rode down. The conditions separate the 'men from the boys'......though in this photo, you'll see only the girls, Jackie and Rebekah, toughing it out while Zac stays stubbornly in the shelter of the car refusing to make the best of the cold.



































Jackie was a fool to put snow on her face and was prompted to brush it off and warm her face to avoid frost bite. She did start to show some early signs of it so we started to head in for shelter.





The cleaning of streets, parking lots and driveways create huge mountains of snow. It gets to a point where there is little space to store it until it melts.


Zac just wasn't into sledding. Last winter, he was standing at the bottom of the hill, took a hard hit from an oncoming sledder and has had a hard time wanting to return to the hill. He did take a few runs, but the harsh weather just did him in early. As the winter wore on and on milder days, he returned to sledding and rediscovered it's thrill.


While Mimi and Papa enjoyed a few weeks in Hawaii, we took care of the snow removal at their house. We had 5 different storms to clear snow from our own house and theirs. We both had ice damns to clear on our flat roofs with indoor leaks, these are the not so fond memories of winter. I took these photos as they reminded me of the large snow banks created by the winter of '78 blizzard, which dumped the same volume of snow in one shot.




Here I am with my pal Julie after the blizzard of '78. I vividly remember that storm. I hope my kids remember winter memories too.



No comments:

Post a Comment